Sunday, November 8, 2015

SLP Bloggers: Our Weaknesses Turned Strengths


Hello!  This week I am joining the SLP runner's linky party to discuss one of my weaknesses turned strengths.  It took me some time to think about which weakness I wanted to share, as I feel there are many areas where I've refined my skills over the years. But if I had to confess to one, I'd have to say it's my ability to use each and every corner of my classroom to my students advantage.  In other words, visually structuring my class and using my resources to make it functional.  

First of all, I have to explain that I am an SLP, but I'm also a classroom teacher.  Here in California, SLPs can teach certain types of special day classes with the appropriate credential add-on.  So my day to day duties differ greatly from my itinerant colleagues.  I taught an Autism specific class for the first few years of my teaching career.  I'll admit that when I first entered the classroom I thought I could come in an just start teaching.  Wrong!  There are so many environmental factors that teachers have to consider to create that perfect learning environment for their students.  I think this is exaggerated when you teach an Autism class or any special education class for that matter.  I quickly learned that the layout of my classroom, types of furniture, choice of wall coverings, etc. made a HUGE impact on the day to day happenings in my classroom. 




Fortunately, I had some guidance from our district behaviorist on the topic.  She started by giving me a classroom checklist to complete.  The checklist broached topics such as how I was using my space, how I was visually structuring it for the students, and even how I was ensuring that my instruction and rules were supported by the structure of the classroom.  It truly opened my eyes and made me see my classroom in a different light.  Isn't   the saying: "You don't know what you don't know, until you know what you don't know?"  Yea, that was me.



Now, I have been told from outside observers that this is one of my greatest strengths.  When I enter another classroom that checklist immediately pops into my mind.  I start thinking about how I could move the furniture around to make the classroom more functional or how unused space could be occupied in a meaningful way.  I've also been told that my ability to re-purpose items in the classroom is a relative strength. 

I feel that in any profession, the key to growth is reflection.  If you have known areas of weakness, take a step back and ask for help.  Research what you can do to make yourself better.  Likewise if you "don't know what you don't know" and you are given some constructive criticism, don't scoff and ignore your colleagues.  Take time to investigate and grow your skills.

If you want to read more SLPs confessing their weaknesses turned strengths, hope on over to the SLP Runner's blog.  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment